Add the Copenhagen Crochet Square pattern to your favorites on Ravelry
Copenhagen Crochet Square
Scroll down for the free pattern
And don’t forget to Pin It Too
Find all my FREE crochet patterns HERE
Not a newsletter subscriber yet? What are you waiting for?
The Copenhagen Square is worked in a combination of regular and post stitches that are combined to create an interesting design whether in multi colors or in a solid which shows off the texture. It’s a pretty square that has a different look depending upon the number of colors used and the order in which they are used.
I designed the Copenhagen Crochet Squares in Red Heart With Love yarn but you can choose from almost any yarn, just be sure to adjust the hook for the weight you are using and remember the finished size will differ too.
As with all of my crochet squares, the Copenhagen Crochet Square can be used in lots of different projects — join two for a pretty throw pillow, create sides and base and join two for a tote bag, you could even fashion these into a garment with a little creativity!
I used the Chetnanigans BlocksAll Board to block my squares and I love this tool! You can read my review HERE!
Copenhagen Crochet Square Instructions
Size: 12” Square
- Made with worsted weight yarn, I used Red Heart With Love in White (Color 1), Peacock (Color 2) and Bluebell (Color 3) for my samples.
- Hook Clover Amour J/6.00 mm
- Tapestry needle for weaving ends
Did you know I have a shop on Amazon featuring some of my favorite tools and gadgets? Click the link below to visit my shop and get great products, at great prices, fast and easy.
Gauge: Check measurements as noted in pattern.
Abbreviations (US Terms):
BLO: Back loop only
BP: back post
dc: double crochet
FLO: front loop only
FP: front post
hdc: half double crochet
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
tr: treble crochet
Popcorn St: Work 5 dc in designated stitch. Drop the loop from the hook. Insert your hook from front to back under the top 2 loops of the first double crochet of the group. Grab the dropped loop with your hook and pull it through the stitch.
- Pattern is written in US Standard terms
- The stitch count is in ( ) at the end of each round.
- Repeat instructions within [ ] or * as indicated.
- When a number precedes a stitch, work that number of stitches in the next stitch, example 3dc means work 3 double crochets in the next stitch.
- When a number follows a stitch, work that stitch in the designated number of stitches, example dc 3 means work a dc in each of the next 3 stitches.
- Work all post stitches around the post of the designated stitch (not in the top of the stitch).
- Beginning chain stitches do not count as a stitch.
- Chains within a round do count as a stitch and are included in stitch count.
- Join rounds with a slip stitch to first stitch of round.
- Each round starts in the same stitch as the join.
- Be sure to leave stitches behind post stitches unworked.
- I wrote this pattern to be worked in 3 colors, but of course, you may use as many or as few colors as you like.
- In this pattern, color changes are made in the last pull-through of the stitch before the new color starts. Work stitches as usual until you have 2 loops on your hook, in the last stitch before the color change. Wrap the new color around the end of the hook, then pull it through and finish the stitch with the new color.
- I carry the unused colors in the back of my work and pick each color up as needed, however, if you prefer not to have any carried threads, you may fasten off at each color change.
Copenhagen Crochet Square Instructions:
Round 1 (Color 1): Start with a Magic Ring, ch1, hdc 8 in center of ring, join. Pull beginning yarn tail to close center hole. (8 hdc)
Round 2 (Color 2): Ch2, [POPCORN St, ch3] in each st around, join in top of first POPCORN St. (8 POPCORN stitches, 24 chains)
Round 3 (Color 2): Ch2, *POPCORN St in next ch3 space, 5sc in next ch3 space*, repeat between * to end, join in top of first POPCORN St. (4 POPCORN sts, 20 sc)
Round 4 (Color 3): Ch1, *sc in POPCORN St, [dc, ch1] in next 2 sts, [dc, ch1, dc] in next st, [ch1, dc] in next 2 sts*, repeat between * to end, join. (48 sts)
Round 5 (Color 1): Ch1, *sc 1, 2dc in next 2 ch1 spaces, 3tc in next ch1 space, 2dc in next 2 ch1 spaces*, repeat between * to end, join. (48 sts)
Gauge check: 4.75” wide at top
Round 6 (Color 2): Ch1, *FPtr around POPCORN St 3 rounds below, hdc 1, ch1, [dc, ch1] in next 4 sts, [dc, ch1, dc] in next st, [ch1, dc] in next 4 sts, ch1, hdc in next st*, repeat between * to end, join. (96 sts)
Round 7 (Color 3): Ch1, *sc in FPtr, [2hdc in next 5 ch1 spaces], [dc, ch1, dc, ch1, dc] in next ch1 space, 2hdc in next 5 ch1 spaces*, repeat between * to end, join. (104 sts)
Gauge check: 7.5” wide at top
Round 8 (Color 2): Ch1, *[FPtr, ch1, FPtr] around post st two rounds below, skip next hdc, BPdc around the next 9 hdc, skip next dc and ch1, [FPdc, ch2, FPdc, ch2, FPdc] around next dc (corner from previous round), skip next ch1 and dc, BPdc around the next 9 hdc, skip next hdc*, repeat between * to end, join to first FPtr. (104 sts)
Round 9 (Color 1): Ch2, *skip FPtr, POPCORN St in ch1 space, skip FPtr and next dc, hdc In next st, sc 7, skip next st, 3dc in next ch2 space, ch2, skip next st, 3dc in next ch2 space, skip next st, sc 7, hdc in next st, skip next st*, repeat between * to end, join to first POPCORN St. (4 POPCORN St + 96 other sts)
Gauge check: 9” wide at top
Round 10 (Color 3): Ch1, *hdc in POPCORN st, sc 11, sc in ch2 space, FPtr around FPdc two rounds below, sc in ch2 space, sc 11*, repeat between * to end, join. (104 sts)
Round 11 (Color 2): Ch1, *working in BLO, sc 13, working in both loops [2dc, ch2, 2dc] in post st, working in BLO, sc 12*, repeat between * to end, join. (124 sts)
Gauge check: 9.75” wide at top
Round 12 (Color 1): Ch1, *working in BLO, hdc 15, [dc, ch2, dc, ch2, dc] in corner ch2, working in BLO, hdc 14*, repeat between * to end, join. (144 sts)
Round 13 (Color 2): Ch1, *[dc in FLO of st two rounds below, sc in BLO of next st] 7 times, dc in FLO of next st two rounds below, 2sc in next ch2 space, ch2, 2sc in next ch2 space, skip next dc, [dc in FLO of st two rounds below, sc in BLO of next st] 7 times*, repeat between * to end, join. (140 sts)
Round 14 (Color 3): Ch1, *working in BLO, sc17, working in both loops, [sc, hdc, sc] in ch2 space, working BLO, sc 16*, repeat between * to end, join. (144 sts)
Don’t Forget To Pin the Copenhagen Square!
More Crochet Squares For YOU!
I can't wait to see your finished projects,
so feel free to share them on my Facebook page!
Follow me on…
Sign up for my newsletter and get free patterns, giveaways and
other fun stuff delivered directly to your mailbox!
I’m always happy to help you with questions regarding my patterns. Send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Please feel free to sell finished items from my patterns. Pattern credit is not required, but is always appreciated.
Copyright © 2021 Pattern Paradise. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher.