12 Weeks of Christmas Blog Hop 2019
This year I’ll be partnering with SIX super-talented blogger friends
and Yarnspirations to sponsor the Blog Hop!
Scroll down for the free pattern
Find all my FREE crochet patterns HERE
The Snowflake Placemat is a great way to decorate your table during the holiday season. The inspiration was Santa’s sweater. Can’t you just imagine Santa wearing a cozy, textured sweater with these adorable snowflakes around the chest? Well I wanted to take that cozy feel and translate it into a placemat!
The Snowflake Placemat is worked from side to side and starts out with a charted snowflake design. The edges are worked in tapestry crochet and the center is a ribbed “knit-look” that works up super quick.
If you’ve never worked tapestry crochet, don’t worry, it’s really pretty easy and I have linked a couple of tutorials you may find helpful too. To achieve this clean design look, I worked each row from the right side. Yes, that means a few extra ends to weave, but I think the end result is worth it. You could also leave the ends long and trim them for a nice fringed edge if you like.
Please click HERE to add the Snowflake Placemat to your favorites on Ravelry.
Not a newsletter subscriber yet? What are you waiting for?
Size: 13” x 19”
- Made with #4 worsted weight yarn, I used Red Heart Super Saver (364 yards per skein) in Cherry Red, Soft White and Light Grey. I used about 150 yards of each color.
- Hook US I/5.50 mm
- Tapestry needle
Gauge: 17 sc x 12 rows (worked in back loop)
Did you know I have a shop on Amazon featuring some of my favorite tools and gadgets? Click the link below to visit my shop and get your supplies, at great prices, fast and easy.
Abbreviations (US Terms):
BLO: back loop only
hdc: half double crochet
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
- How to work tapestry crochet here=> http://bit.ly/TapestryCrochet
- How to read a charted design here=> http://bit.ly/ReadGraphicChart
The placemat is worked from side to side. It starts and ends with the charted snowflake design which is worked in tapestry crochet. The center is worked in a “knit-look” stitch for texture.
Tips for working the chart
- Work chart stitches in BLO, unless otherwise noted.
- Each box is one sc.
- Work all chart rows from the right side – join each row in the first st of the previous row, fasten off at the end of each row.
- Work over yarn not in use with working yarn.
- Make color changes in the last pass of the stitch: Work last sc of a color until you have two loops on the hook, join the new color and finish the sc. Pull ends tightly to secure the color changes.
Instructions for Snowflake Placemat
Row 1 (Follow color changes in chart): With Color 1, ch 42, using the chart as a guide, sc in 2nd ch from hook, and each remaining ch to end. Fasten off. (41 sts throughout)
Rows 2 to 13: Working from right side of work (same direction as the previous row), join color in first st; using the chart as a color guide, sc in BLO of each st to end. Fasten off.
Row 14: Join Color 3 in first st of previous row, working in BLO, sc in each st to end. DO NOT FASTEN OFF.
Row 15: Ch1, turn, working in BLO, sl st in each st to end (work loosely).
Row 16: Ch1, turn, working in BLO, hdc in each st to end.
Rows 18 to 42: Repeat Rows 15 and 16.
Row 43: Repeat Row 15
Row 44: Ch1, turn, working in BLO sc in each st to end.
Rows 45 to 57: Follow chart for the snowflake motif repeat. Work the first row of the chart in both loops and the remainder in BLO, fastening off at the end of each row.
Weave in all ends before starting the border.
Round 1: Work sc evenly around the placemat, changing colors for each section (work red on red stitches, grey on grey and white on white) and being sure to have 3 sc in each corner, join with sl st to first st of the round. Fasten off.
Round 2: Join Color 3 in any corner, ch1, *3sc in corner st, sc in each st to next corner*, repeat between * to end, join with sl st to first st of the round. Fasten off.
Round 3: Join Color 2 in any corner st, ch1, working in BLO, *3sc in corner st, sc in each st to next corner*, repeat between * to end, join with sl st to first st of the round.
Round 4: Sl st into corner st, *3sc in corner st, sc in each st to next corner*, repeat between * to end, join with sl st to first st of the round. Fasten off.
Round 5: Join Color 3 in any corner, working in BLO, sl st loosely in each st around, join with sl st in first st. Fasten off.
Round 6: Join Color 1 in any corner, working in BLO, sl st in each sl st from previous round, join with sl st to first st. Fasten off.
Share the Snowflake Placemat with your friends – Pin It!
Here’s a preview of next week’s project and supply list!
Grand Prize Giveaway #3!
A bag of goodies valued at $100
Link up your CAL/Blog Hop projects on Ravelry! If you need help with this, I have an easy tutorial HERE to help you out. Be sure to enter the Rafflecopter below for a chance to win the grand prize package too!
Valid in US, Canada, void where prohibited by law. Ends 11/8/2019 11:59 pm eastern time.
If you don’t see the Rafflecopter Entry form below, please click HERE to enter.
Click below for prior year’s events!
Be sure you don’t miss out on any of the Blog Hop posts,
Sign up for the CAL/Blog Hop Newsletter today to get updates directly to your email!
What do you have to do? It’s Easy!
- Join the Pattern Paradise FB Group so you can keep up with all the happenings. There will be a pinned post in the group, where you will go to get info, stay in touch, get/give help and share your progress with your fellow crocheters.
- Follow your hosts! Subscribe to our blogs and follow us on social media so you won’t miss anything and to show your support!
- Check my blog each Friday for the new pattern and project preview plus materials for the following week!
- When your CAL project is complete, simply create a Ravelry project and link it to the pattern page. If you need help with this, I have an easy tutorial HERE to help you out.
- Finally, don’t forget to enter the Rafflecopter link for the giveaways. You’ll find these on my weekly blog posts.
We want to share the event with the world, so be sure to tag your posts and pictures with #12WeeksChristmasCAL so that we can be easily found in social media!
That’s it! Easy, breezy and lots of fun!
Click the logos below to learn more about my guest hosts,
and follow them on social media!
I can't wait to see your finished projects,
so feel free to share them on my Facebook page!
Follow me on…
Sign up for my newsletter and get free patterns, giveaways and
other fun stuff delivered directly to your mailbox!
I’m always happy to help you with questions regarding my patterns. Send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Please feel free to sell finished items from my patterns. Pattern credit is not required, but is always appreciated.
Copyright © 2023 Pattern Paradise. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher.