This post contains affiliate links. *Background vector created by Starline – Freepik.com*
12 Weeks of Christmas CAL 2017
Click HERE for all the details
Welcome to Week1!
This week we will be working on the Frosty Placemat. This placemat is super cute with an adorable, chubby snowman to hold your silverware in place. The snowman applique can be used for lots of other projects too. The placemat is a simple variation on the single crochet worked vertically for an interesting texture that forms the background base for the applique and darling edging.
Thank you to our sponsor Red Heart Yarns, for providing the yarn for this project. I used Creme de la Creme in three colors. I love working with this cotton yarn because it has a nice feel and drape to it. It’s not too thick either so can even work for some garments. It comes in an array of pretty colors and is so useful for projects from dishcloths to tote bags and everything in-between.
Don’t Forget to take advantage of the yarn discount, courtesy of Red Heart Yarns!
~ Don’t lose it, add It To Your Ravelry Queue Or Favorites ~
~ And don’t forget to Pin It Too ~
Find all my FREE crochet patterns HERE
Size: 19” x 14”
- Crème de la Crème Worsted Weight cotton yarn. Yardage per each placemat:
- Color 1 (Red) – 190 yards
- Color 2 (White) – 100 yards
- Color 3 (Green) – 60 yards
- Small amount of orange and black
- ½” buttons (2)
- Hook H/5.00 mm
Gauge: 16 sc x 18 rows = 4” ; stitch multiple = 2
BLO: Back Loop Only
dc: double crochet
hdc: half double crochet
sc: single crochet
- Pattern written in US terms
- Weave ends as you work
- Beginning ch1 of row/round does NOT count as a stitch
- Number in ( ) at end of round indicates the number of stitches in that round.
Row 1: With Color 1, ch42, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch to end. (41)
Row 2: Ch1, turn, working in BLO, sc in each st to end. (41)
Row 3: Ch1, turn, working in both loops, sc in each st to end. (41)
Rows 4 to 61: Repeat Rows 2 and 3, ending with a Row 3 repeat.
Round 1: Decide which side you want to use as the front, ch1, with right side facing you, work 3sc in each corner, work 38 sc evenly across each short side and 56 sc evenly across each long side, join with sl st to first sc. (200)
Round 2: Sl st into corner st, ch1, [3sc in corner, sc in each st to next corner], repeat to end, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off. (208)
Round 3: Join Color 2 in any corner with a sl st, ch1, [3sc in corner, sc in each st to next corner], repeat to end, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off. (216)
Round 4: Join Color 3 in any corner with a sl st, ch1, *5hdc in corner, [skip 2, 3hdc in next st], repeat between [ ] until there are 2 sts left before corner, skip last 2 sts*; repeat between * to end, join with sl st to first hdc. Fasten off.
Round 5: Join Color 2 in any corner with a sl st, ch1, *5hdc in corner, 3hdc in each space between groups of hdc in previous round, to next corner*; repeat between * to end, join to first hdc. Fasten off.
Round 6: With wrong side facing, join Color 3 in any corner, *[sc, dc, sc] in corner, ch1, [sc, dc, sc] in each space between groups of hdc in previous round, to next corner*; repeat between * to end, join to first sc. Fasten off.
Row 1: With Color 2, ch11, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch to end. (10)
Row 2: Ch1, turn, 2sc in first st, sc in each st until there is 1 st left, 2sc in last st. (12)
Row 3: Ch1, turn, sc in each st to end. (12)
Rows 4 to 9: Repeat Rows 2 & 3. (18 after last repeat)
Row 10: Repeat Row 3. (18)
Row 11: Ch1, turn, sc2tog, sc in each st until there are 2 left, sc2tog. (16)
Row 12: Ch1, turn, sc in each st to end. (16)
Rows 13 to 22: Repeat Rows 11 & 12. (6 sts after last repeat)
Rows 23 to 26: Repeat Row 2. (14 at end of last repeat)
Rows 27 & 28: Row 12. (14)
Rows 29 to 32: Repeat Row 11. (6 at end of last repeat)
Border: Ch1, working around edge of snowman, sc evenly around, join to first st. Fasten off.
Face: Using a small amount of orange for the nose and black for the eyes, embroider face.
Neck Piece: With Color 3, ch9, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch to end. Fasten off.
First Hanging End: Ch8, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch, sl st to 2nd st on Neck Piece of scarf.
Second Hanging End: Ch11, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch, sl st to 4th st on Neck Piece of scarf. Fasten off.
Sew scarf in place at neck. Sew buttons in place as show in photo.
Place snowman on blocked placemat as shown in photo. Sew in place around edge of snowman starting and ending at sides of face (widest part) leaving the top open to insert silverware. Be sure to secure the beginning and end of your stitching as this area will get extra wear and tear with use.
Don’t forget to Pin It!
Be sure to link your project up on Ravelry
and enter the Rafflecopter below for a chance to win the weekly prize package!
Valid in US, Canada and Mexico, void where prohibited by law.
Here’s a preview of next week’s pattern
Courtesy of Oombawka Design!
What do you have to do? It’s Easy!
- Join our Crochet Playground FB Group so you can keep up with all the happenings. There will be a pinned post in the group, where you will go to get info, stay in touch, get/give help and share your progress with your fellow crocheters.
- Subscribe to our blogs and follow us on social media so you won’t miss anything.
- Wait for the list of suggested materials to be announced on September 1st.
- When your CAL project is complete, simply create a Ravelry project and link it to the pattern page. If you need help with this, my friend Rhondda has an easy tutorial HERE to help you out. Projects must be linked by midnight (eastern time) each Thursday and the winner will be selected and announced each Friday. Of course, we’d love you to post your pictures to the FB group too because we love to ooh and ahh over our friends 🙂
- Finally, don’t forget to enter the Rafflecopter link for the weekly giveaway.
We want to share the event with the world, so be sure to tag your posts and pictures with #12WeeksChristmasCAL so that we can be easily found in social media!
That’s it! Easy, breezy and lots of fun!
- 9/1 – Materials List Released
- 9/15 – Week #1 hosted by Pattern Paradise – Frosty Placemat
- 9/22 – Week #2 hosted by Oombawka Design – Peace on Earth Angel
- 9/29 – Week #3 hosted by Pattern Paradise – Dreamy Scarf
- 10/6 – Week #4 hosted byThe Purple Poncho – Holly Berry Stocking
- 10/13 – Week #5 hosted by Pattern Paradise – Dreamy Hat
- 10/20 – Week #6 hosted by A Crocheted Simplicity – Gingerbread Man Hot Pad
- 10/27 – Week #7 hosted by Pattern Paradise – Mysteria Wrap
- 11/3 – Week #8 hosted by The Stitchin’ Mommy
- 11/10 – Week #9 hosted by Pattern Paradise
- 11/17 – Week #10 hosted by Snappy tots
- 11/24 – Week #11 hosted by Pattern Paradise
- 12/1 – Week #12 hosted by Sincerely, Pam
- 12/15 – Grand Prize Winner Announced!
Click below for prior events!
Click the logos below to learn more about my guest hosts,
and follow them on social media!
Follow me on…