Garden Trellis Afghan Square
This afghan square is the first in a series of three used in the Rosary Hill Blanket CAL & Charity Project. Crochet a beautiful blanket for yourself and give back to those less fortunate by donating a square or two to the Rosary Hill Blanket Charity Project!
Here’s how it will work:
The Free CAL Part:
- The CAL/CHARITY project will run over a 4 week period starting 6/3/2016 and you can read about it HERE.
- Click HERE to join the Rosary Hill CAL Facebook Event to be sure and get all the details and news on the CAL.
- The first 3 Fridays, 6/3, 6/10 and 6/17, I will release a new free pattern for a 12″ afghan square.
- The 4th week, 6/24, will be a lesson in how to join the squares and add the border.
The Giving Part:
- The pattern is yours to keep with no obligation, of course, but in the spirit of giving I ask that you consider making 2 squares and donating them to the Rosary Hill Blanket Project.
- If you participate in the donation, you will automatically be entered into a Grand Prize Giveaway, which will include yarn from our generous sponsor Red Heart Yarns and a mystery goodie!
Each blanket uses 12 white squares and 6 each of the green and wine. Because the nuns would like the blankets to be uniform, all squares must be made using Red Heart Soft yarn in the colorway for that week’s square ( Week 1= white; Week 2=wine; Week 3= dark leaf). One skein of yarn will make two squares but feel free to make as many as you like!
Mail the squares to the designated address (available in the Facebook Event), to be received no later than July 15th to qualify for the Grand Prize Drawing, but of course, you are welcome to continue to donate squares after that too. The more squares we receive, the more blankets we make!
The squares will be assembled and lovingly joined, and bordered by a small team of “angels” who have volunteered to help out and the blankets will be delivered to the hospice in time for the 2016 Christmas season.
Now for the pattern!
* Purchase an ad-free PDF and chart of this pattern on Craftsy *
Garden Trellis Afghan Square Instructions
Red Heart Soft ~ 125 yards
Clover Amour Hook USI/5.5mm
Check gauge as you complete rounds
Size: Approximately 11-12” square
Abbreviations (US Terms):
dc: double crochet
sl st: slip stitch
YO: yarn over
Beginning Cluster Stitch (beg CLst): ch2, *YO, insert hook in designated stitch or space, YO, pull loop through, YO, pull through 2 loops (2 loops on hook)*; repeat between * once (3 loops on hook); YO pull through all loops.
Cluster Stitch (CLst): *YO, insert hook in designated stitch or space, YO, pull loop through, YO, pull through 2 loops (2 loops on hook)*; repeat between * 2 more times (4 loops on hook); YO pull through all loops.
- Weave ends as you work.
- Ch2 at beginning of round does NOT count as stitch.
- Stitch counts in ( ) at end of round.
- When a number precedes a stitch, complete that number of stitches in the next stitch. Example: 3hdc means work 3hdc in the next stitch.
- Join each round with sl st to first st of the round.
Round 1: Ch4, sl st to first ch to form loop, beg CLst, ch2, [CLst, ch2] 7 times, join with sl st to top of beg CLst. Pull beginning yarn tail tightly to close the center loop. (8 Clusters with ch2 between each one)
Round 2: Sl st into next ch2 space, [beg CLst, ch4, CLst] in same ch2 space, [ch1, 4dc, ch1] in next ch2 space, *[CLst, ch4, CLst] in next ch2 space, [ch1, 4dc, ch1] in next ch2 space*, repeat between * 2 more times, join to beg cluster. (4 dc on each side + 4 corners)
Round 3: Sl st into next corner space, [beg CLst, ch4, CLst] in same corner space, ch1, 2dc in next ch1 space, dc in each dc, 2 dc in next ch1 space, ch1, *[CLst, ch4, CLst] in next corner space, ch1, 2dc in next ch1 space, dc in each dc, 2 dc in next ch1 space, ch1* repeat between * 2 more times, join to beg cluster. (8 dc on each side + 4 corners)
~Gauge check: approximately 4” diameter at this point~
Rounds 4 to 6: Repeat Round 3. (20 dc on each side + 4 corners)
~Gauge check: approximately 7” diameter at this point~
Rounds 7 to 9: Repeat Round 3. (32 dc on each side + 4 corners)
~Gauge check: approximately 10” diameter at this point~
Round 10: Sl st into next corner space, ch3 (counts as dc), work 6 more dc in same corner, 2dc in ch1 space, dc in each dc, 2dc in next ch1 space, * work 7dc in next corner, 2dc in ch1 space, dc in each dc, 2dc in next ch1 space *, repeat between *2 more times, join. Fasten off. (36 dc on each side + 7 in each corner)
Thank you for reading through and I hope you will join the CAL and share your talents with those less fortunate and join us for the charity project too! Be sure to share this post with your other crafty friends so they may enjoy the CAL too!
I can't wait to see your finished projects,
so feel free to share them on my Facebook page!
Follow me on…
Sign up for my newsletter and get free patterns, giveaways and
other fun stuff delivered directly to your mailbox!
I’m always happy to help you with questions regarding my patterns. Send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Please feel free to sell finished items from my patterns. Pattern credit is not required, but is always appreciated.
Copyright © 2021 Pattern Paradise. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher.