This recipe got its name due to a mood! I was having a bad day yesterday. Just a plain old bad day where nothing worked right, nothing felt right and nothing brought a smile to my face.
I was also hungry and the mood, combined with the hunger, led me to the kitchen. My mood was such that I couldn’t even figure out what I wanted to eat, so I did what I so often do — I looked in the pantry and refrigerator to see if anything would spark my interest. Hmm, the pasta box seemed to be calling my name (it often does), but what to put with it? The refrigerator answered this question….I had a few mushrooms and some spinach leftover from the ingredient list of a menu earlier in the week. Add a few aromatics and a bit of sauce (I always have some homemade sauce on hand, frozen in 1/2 cup portions for times just like this!) and soon I was smiling!
That’s how this recipe got its name 🙂
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup of your favorite pasta sauce (I usually have homemade in the freezer but jarred is fine)
- 1 cup of pasta water reserved when you drained your pasta
- 1 cup of baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, in 1/4″ strips
- Cook pasta in a large pot with lots of salted water, cook to al dente less one minute.
- Heat olive oil in large pan and add onions, cook till translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they start to get color, then add the garlic and cook for a minute or two until the garlic starts to become soft (be carful not to burn)
- Add sauce and pasta water and cook for a couple more minutes to allow time for all the ingredients to blend their flavors.
- Add in pasta, spinach and peppers and cook for one minute longer, stirring to dress the pasta with the sauce.
*This post contains affiliate links*